Pumpkin . . . Fall 2011

Pumpkin . . . Fall 2011

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chantrelles


In the summer of 2006, I found my very first patch of chantrelle mushrooms on our property. This year has been a perfect growing season for them. Warm with dry spells and then some gentle rain. This morning the family went over to our friends property and gathered about 10 pounds of them and we are hoping these will last all year.

After they are wiped/washed I will put them individually on a cookie sheet and freeze them. I will then put them in gallon freezer bags and return them to the freezer. They can also be dried on a screen and then stored in glass jars.

Chantrelles are wonderful sauteed in butter with scrambled eggs and made into a cream of chantrelle soup. I also love them sauteed in olive oil and butter, lightly seasoned with garlic and herbs and then stuffed into the cavity of one of our Wyandotte chickens.

We are really starting the harvest now . . . . the tomatoes are beginning to ripen, peppers are now ready to pick and I am nearly finished with my fall vegetable planting. Hope everyone is having a bountiful summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment